The pipes within a property run unseen through the walls, above ceilings, and under floors. A leaky pipe situated in these areas is more serious because it is obscured, and by the time a homeowner notices it, some damage to the property may have already occurred. As leak detection specialists, we at Alpha Plumbing use advanced technology and industry-leading techniques to ensure those hidden leaks are identified and dealt with quickly.
What Are Some Common Causes of Leaky Pipes in a Property?
Whether you live in a brand-new development or if your property is a few decades old, leaks are common and there is often no way of preventing them. There are several reasons this issue may arise, including some of the following:
- High water pressure that eventually wears down the pipes, causing bursting or leaking.
- When a property’s foundation shifts, the water lines may disconnect, rupture, or start leaking under the strain.
- Corrosion as the water reticulation system ages may cause leaks, especially in older pipes prone to rusting.
- Intrusive tree roots can cause major issues with your plumbing. Small cracks in the pipes that release moisture into the surrounding soil draw the roots of water-seeking plants. These roots may then burrow into the pipes and cause damage that is hard to spot because it happens underground.
- Extreme changes in weather can cause the pipes to get very cold and even freeze, which makes them more prone to cracking.
While the above issues are common, they often go unseen for days, weeks, and even months. This is why leak detection specialists are so important; they pinpoint the problem with accuracy without damaging large portions of the property to find the source of the issue.
Will A Pesky Leak Go Away on Its Own?
If you suspect a leaky pipe but do not hire the services of a leak detection specialist, you may not notice the issue, but it is unlikely to resolve on its own. On the contrary, even the smallest leaks may become bigger over time, costing you much more on your water bill and damages to your property.
What Are Some DIY Solutions for Leaky Pipes?
If a leaking pipe is visible, temporary fixes like specialized putty or plumbing tape may work for a while, but they are not a lasting solution. It is recommended that the owner contract a professional leak detector for unseen leaks because this is a highly skilled profession, and trustworthy equipment is typically more than R100 000. Having it professionally done can save the homeowner a significant amount of money in the long run by limiting unnecessary digging or chopping.
When Should I Call a Professional?
You should contact leak detection specialists at the first sign of an issue. Some signs that you may have a leak in your plumbing include:
- Water from the taps that look discoloured or smell bad.
- Damp on your walls.
- Cracked, crumbling, or stained walls.
- Mould and mildew that spreads, even if you try to clean it.
- More humidity in the property.
- Strange sounds coming from the pipes, like hissing and gurgling.
- A rising water bill, even if there seems to be low water pressure from the faucets.
By ensuring affordable services, rapid turnaround times, and superior results, we take the inconvenience out of those aggravating plumbing issues. For urgent leak detection professionals that won’t let you down, call on us at 010 001 8364.