Early Leak Detection Can Save You Thousands of Rands
Infrastructure deteriorates over time due to usage, wear and tear, age, and a number of other factors. While we do not often think about it due to the fact that we do not physically see it, this definitely applies to plumbing. The added risk with plumbing is that this deterioration can lead to further – and much more severe – damage. What complicates this even further is the fact that the escaped water must be allowed to dry out completely before certain repair work can be done. Keeping this in mind, and realising that infrastructure damage is inevitable, it is clear that early leak detection is not only preferable, but vital.
How to Spot A Problem
- There are damp spots on the wall. Creeping damp on a wall, bubbling paint, or even floor coverings that are damp or pulling away from the floor can all be indications of slowly seeping water within the walls or under the floor.
- The water pressure in your taps is low. If you notice water running slower than usual, or a noticeable drop in water pressure when showering or opening a tap, it might be a sign that you are losing water somewhere.
- You can hear a hissing sound coming from your pipes. This is an obvious sign and could indicate a serious problem. If you can hear the hissing of water escaping, turn off your main water supply and call an expert as soon as possible.
- Your water bill is higher than usual for no reason. A more indirect way of leak detection is to keep an eye on your water bill. If your bill is abnormally high without you having changed your water-usage habits, it may be an indication that you are losing water somewhere.
Using Your Water Meter to Detect Potential Leaks
To confirm your suspicion, you can do the following:
- Turn off all taps and make sure no water is being used on your property.
- Take a reading of your water meter.
- Wait an hour or two, and make sure that no water is being used at all during this time.
- Take a reading of your water meter again. If the reading has changed, you most likely have a leak.
What to Do About It
If you suspect a problem, the best advice is to act sooner rather than later to help minimise the potential damage. First, you want to confirm your suspicion and identify the cause and exact location of the problem. The good news is that this can be done quite easily. The specialists at Alpha Plumbing use advanced technology for accurate leak detection that is non-invasive and it can be done without causing any damage to your property. Our leak-detection methods include metal-detecting scanners, ground microphones, gas injectors with ultrasonic capabilities, and heat-detecting cameras.
In addition to leak detection, we also have the skills and ability to repair damaged pipes with the minimum amount of damage, ensuring that your property is in tip-top shape in no time, and keeping repair costs as low as possible for you. Contact Alpha Plumbing to discuss any plumbing-related issues and one of our specialists will see to it that your problem is fixed.
INTERESTED? We’ll Call You:
[contact-form-7 id=”42″ title=”Contact Us”]